View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #15
cassembler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
If there are other bottlenecks, they are what they are for the moment: RAM and, possibly - SSD are the only upgrades I can afford. To answer your question, an i3 with a 7200 rpm 1TB drive.

Now, you say if "my only choice is" 2x4GB mismatched in dual (how are they mismatched - I thought 2x4GB indicates matched, no?), or are you saying because I would be ordering from a different manufacturer, they aren't OEM, etc., that they would not be matched?
Correct, by 'matched' I mean same part number from same mfg. If they "select a pair" for you, even better, but certainly not required. Like Softsynth said, an 8GB with an unmached pair is typically better than 4GB, and will probably be fine.

As far as "how much," also ask yourself how much sampling you're using. E.g. if I open twelve (!) different sets of NI Drum libraries, I'm at ~17GB of RAM (Win10/64), which is probably more than I've ever used, ever. An average starter project with one drum library and four virtual instruments with a generous application of effects puts me at 6.5GB.

It's a hamster wheel though, you'll want a beefier processor and an SSD, and whatever you get won't be as good as the next tier, and when you get that, something new will come out. Get what you need and can afford, and make it work. At least it's a cheaper hobby than cars (the PC at least)

Last edited by cassembler; 10-13-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Qualified that building PCs is cheaper than cars, as opposed to being a musician and/or audio engineer :)
cassembler is offline   Reply With Quote