View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
magwa101
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper tracker

I very much agree with your comment about limitations of cursor and keyboard (either) input. Tracker is one example of a more programmatic interface. There could be other generative interfaces (ex. Axon2) that could benefit from a "direct access to Midi blocks" API so that changes are bidirectionally shared from VST<>Reaper. Back and forth editing is a PITA that def leads to lost work and is hard live. Technically a memory mapped file would be awesome. No locking on bus sized writes (int, float, etc.) just "last write wins" but perhaps need some locking on strings, maybe...

I've been trying Hackey-Trackey and I can't tell if this is the same project you're working on. I've been doing many other Reaper work flow setup, but am going to get deeper into the "Tracker" interface over the next couple of months.

Also, at some point, I'd like to throw in some code contributions, but, music first.

I could write some docs for this as Trackers are new to me in general and I'll be going through it nuts to bolts anyway, may as well document it.

One project that seems to take the "I'm a real VST but use Reaper APIs" is Play: http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/ They may have some answers about the API limitations.
magwa101 is offline   Reply With Quote