View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #83
msore
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
@Sound asleep, msore:

It is indeed not easy, I have to admit (It actually would be easier in German, because we have far more specific terms for most of the unclear concepts)

Nowhere I said "everything" was popular music. Classical is not "popular", neither are free jazz, avantgarde and experimental music, not even a hybrid would be valid, because those approaches are too disparate. Though each form has their own rules, too! Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to communicate with the "receiver"!

I was talking about "what is a song", and that songs don't exist outside a popular genre. Now please allow me one last attempt, promised Remember: the question is "Why do I think that in every creative process there have to be limitations, also known as rules"....

* please ask again if you don't understand why, I've been sitting here much too long already
beingmf. I think after someone reads through the semantic quibbling above (and maybe that is unavoidable in questions like this) there is not as much 'distinction' between what you and I are saying as it first seemed.

On the other hand, there are many MORE distinctions between types of music than you seem to be willing to make. And many distinctions - mostly flexible and evolving ones - between the kinds of 'rules' people follow, even in the same genre.