View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #114
themixtape
Human being with feelings

What methods do you use for writing lyrics?

I just start with a thought... and build on it. Sometimes it's the chorus, and I work backwards, sometimes it's the verse and I work forward. I use the typical verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge structure, as I like it the most in music. I often use a rhyming dictionary (just makes things easier) or a rhyming website.

Is there a particular form you use? (eg. ABAB/AABA) (ABAB being a Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus structure)

As mentioned above-- yeah, the typical thing. Sometimes atypical.

Is there a certain process you go through when writing lyrics? What is it?

"Get something fully done, dammit" - that's my process. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Where do you find inspiration for writing lyrics?

Life, loneliness, rejection, getting older, movies.

Are there any people/writers who have influenced you? Who are they?

Juliana Hatfield, Matthew Caws of Nada Surf (coincidentally, they make music as a duo called Minor Alps)... Ben Lee (especially his 90s stuff), The Innocence Mission (a band I cannot live without), Andrew Jackson Jihad, Elliott Smith, all the unsung singer/songwriters who have brilliant acoustic folk songs and get overshadowed by all the famous people.... and also, I really love John Mayer and think his writing is top-notch. I love so many styles of music... Azure Ray/Maria Taylor is another huge influence, Jimmy Eat World, The Album Leaf, Mazzy Star... etc.

What kind of things do you write about? Why?

Loneliness, usually. Because I'm lonely.

What do you do about writer’s block? Tips?

Muscle through it, or work on something else... or read other people's lyrics to get ideas and get back on track, or listen to some great indie music.

What comes first? The music or the words?

Most of the time, the music. Occasionally the words and melody.

Do you write the music yourself or with a band/other collaboraters?

Almost always by myself. Occasionally collaborate.

Where do you start? (With The Beat (Drums)/The Rhythm (Guitar)/The Melody (Guitar)/The Voice (Vocals)?)

Strumming chords on guitar, or some basic piano patterns/chords.

Are there any processes you go through with the writing of the music?

Just the typical process that everyone goes through-- building chords, parts, transitions, lyrics, vocal melodies, vocal harmonies... beats are usually an afterthought as I think the melody/harmony and lyrics are the most important part of a song.

When is a song considered finished? When is a song ready to be shared?

When it's finished... I can be too much of a perfectionist, but these days I just want to constantly put stuff out, even if it's "not perfect."

In what ways do you think music communicates with an audience? How powerful is it?

I think audiences connect most with lyrics, and hooks. Melody draws you in, but the lyrics keep you there.

What makes a song? What attracts you to a song?

The melody, lyrics, and vocal harmonies.

Do you have a preferred style or genre of music? What is it? Do you think this has an influence on your writing?

Yes-- indie folk, anything with female vocals. Yes, greatly.

Do you see a career for yourself in song writing/playing music? Or do you already have a career as a musician?

I'm too old to make anything happen, but I keep trying to at least share my heart/work with the world (if anyone's listening). I teach music to pay bills.

Last edited by themixtape; 11-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote