View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #154
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I don't have the time any more and don't find it as interesting as I once did, because these problems tend to be one-offs so finding out the root cause is of no value. Get it fixed and move on and forget about trying to learn why.
One problem is being too far from stock. It's the primary reason I don't tweak the OS' much any more. Once you get a certain perecentage outside the norm the following becomes a risk...

- If you do have some issue, you probably won't find a quick answer on the net because the config is customized enough to place you in the .001 percentile.

- Weird things are more likely because of that same percentile. No one who writes OS'es or drivers ever test in wierd or other configurations other than stock.

- Troubleshooting becomes very difficult (as evidenced above) because key tools and the like are missing due to optimization.

Lastly when it's hardware, it often looks just like an OS issue and vice-versa because at the end of the day, it's all electrons. Now just to get it off my chest, removing things such as SFC to optimize for a DAW doesn't help the DAW one iota, it just makes us all feel better. This is often the case in some tweaking circles, removing some stuff that is never used or never has any effect on performance. Don't do that! - OK I feel better now.