View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #14
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshwin View Post
Here on page 121(of the owners manual) it states many of the "basic editing tasks that you will be using in Reaper involve the use of fairly intuitive standard Windows procedures for selecting and manipulating items." Now I've used Windows since 1989 Win 2.0.1 and I still can't get this app to do a simple copy and paste. I've now read 123 pages of text watched all of the videos on the web site and followed the instructions meticulously, yet my results did not match their video's results. And what the hell is meant by "item/tracks/envelope points (within or outside of time selection)? It would be nice if they included a definition as to what that was someplace... don't you think?
I think it would be best if they made a version specifically for those who play real instruments, and then one for those who buy ?? surface what...?? buttons on a pad, that do what?? I spent years studying music... going to band camp every summer, taking lessons on the side ... passed solos with Cat Anderson at the age of 15 in front of thousands of people... wrote software in Cobol, Basic, QBasic, Visual Basic, C++ and find this so wretchedly thought out, there is no way anyone should ever have to pay for something like this, so poorly conceived, it astounds the mind. Leave it to the Brits to cluster #AA%$@ anything, including their own country. The title for Chapter 7 (starting on pg 119) is "Editing Tracks And Items"... yet within nearly every stanza of text concerning performing an action/edit it claims .... get this... more on actually how to do this in Chapter 15... the one labeled "Customization, Actions, Mouse Modifiers, Menus and Toolbars" What?????????? The hell .... you put Item Track Editing info in the "Item Track Editing" chapter, period!!!!You don't make people have to jump 8 Chapters ahead to read two sentences that pertain to the process described, 8 chapters back, in order to make sense of one action... How long has LSD been re-legalized in the UK anyways??? Or do you really not want serious people, on a time frame, to actually put up the money to buy this program?? I can't wait til I get to the part where I try to get a set of Alesis Nitro E-Drums to record to a separate track for each separate drum, via a Midi cable.
It`s a shame you didn`t do a better job of this "critique"
It contains so many errors & is so poorly laid out that it inevitably set any regular user of reaper`s teeth on edge.
Maybe you should try again and at least get the poor author you are belabouring`s nationality right.

Ranting never gets you help.
Asking questions politely usually does.... plus of course you are admitting that, despite your self-proclaimed expertise in everything, you are unable to understand ANY of the tutorial videos available either.

But despite this and assuming your rant wasn`t a farewell one, welcome to the forums.
Maybe we can point you in the right direction after all....

On the subject of your e-kit, you need to make sure you have a full understanding of the basics of MIDI. I put a link in the Newbie section of this forum to an excellent e-booklet published by Edirol/Roland some years ago which clearly lays out how MIDI data can be streamed to 16 separate channels, which hopefully will suffice for your purposes.

If you need more help, just ask & someone on the forums will have an answer for you.