View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 02:03 AM   #2021
Breeder
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Sadly true. If it is there, one just takes it.

That is/was kind of intransparent to me. Whom shall I donate to?
I donated to SWS, until you told me that you don´t get any money from them, I did not know that!
Are there any others involved (who´s code I use) that deserve a donation?
It seems that all donations still go to Tim's paypal, but he hasn't been active for a while. But then again, SWS is his baby and he did contribute A LOT (lets just say there wouldn't be SWS without Tim) - not to mention that a lot of his code still gets reused for almost every new contribution - he practically set the standard for the rest of us. So yeah, you aren't doing anything wrong by donating trough main page
Rest of us just put out donation links in case people want to show appreciation.

Jeffos (SWS/S&M) had donation link in his dialogs, but I can't find it anymore? I guess he got a better job or something (after all, he works for Cockos now) so he removed it
edit: it seems it's still alive and well...you can donate to Jeffos personally here

Wol (SWS/wol) also has a link in his signature.

Xenakios (Xenakios/SWS) doesn't actively participate in SWS anymore, but you can always donate through his blog if you use his stuff.

Adam (SWS/AW), Fingers (SWS/FNG), Padre (SWS/PADRE) and IXix (SWS/IX) also contributed a lot, but I didn't see any way to donate to them.

Of those four, it seems only IXix has been active on the forum lately. And he has contributed SO MUCH over the years outside SWS (just go and have a look at JS forum or simply look at all of his JS effects that come pre-installed with REAPER) - he definitely deserves some kind of thank you! He should put some kind of donation link in his signature too

IMHO, main web site donations should offer you the choice to support any of these people. Who knows, maybe it could attract more contributors (because SWS is so exposed unlike other contributions for which you have to search the forums)...and we need new contributors desperately (I'm mostly using Cubase these days, Jeffos is busy at Cockos and rest of the guys just stopped contributing)

One example that comes to mind...
I don't know if any of you remember, but user Araud created the extension for guitar tabs in REAPER. You can find it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78938
I don't know the real reason why he stopped updating it, but it felt like he didn't receive nearly enough donations to keep him motivated to develop if further. Who knows how many geniuses hide in REAPER crowd that may be motivated to help out if we could somehow push them to the front lines so they get proper support from the community.

Last edited by Breeder; 11-02-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote