View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 03:51 AM   #2026
Jeffos
Mortal

Some words about donations...

First, I'd like to thank all our donators!

Then, I'd like to clarify that 1) the project is maintained and 2) donations made via the "Donate" button on the SWS website really go into a *common* wallet. For credit card binding reasons, this paypal account belongs to Tim ("sws") but the money doesn't go in his personal wallet! Or in any other member's pocket BTW!

This money is used for common needs of the project: wesite hosting costs (e.g. the new sws-extension.org is online, but not fully tied to the code yet) and, even if we haven't finalized the fine details together (Tim, Geoff and I) yet, I think I can announce we'll "hire" Geoffrey Francis for an update of the user guide with the rest of the money.

Make sure there's no money made out this project.
The overall amount of donations is totally ridiculous vs the efforts invested by its members, BTW. In general, I don't think one should expect anything from donations (open-source or not).

Anyway, I thought to some "systems" to share donations but that would be complicated... Any system I could think of would only be wrong, and argument-prone. In the SWS case, I think the best way to deal with it is either to remove the donate button, or to reinvest everything in the project. We're doing the latter ATM. Each member can then offer his personal donation link, of course.

Oh! And persoannly, I still have a persnal donation link, but the real reason I removed it is that only a couple of users were using it Literaly.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote