View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
ngarjuna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
My thoughts exactly. Theroretically Reaper is fully capable of being used on a wide scale, and due to it's flexibility and stability would be an excellent, maybe the best, choice - in theory. I just don't see a large established corporation being willing to deal with such a small (2-3 person?) company. Cockos has no sales team to wine and dine the VPs, no customer support help-desk, no training team to assist with deployment. I don't imagine the decision makers would be willing to use this forum for a help desk and Kenny's videos as training (not a knock on either of course, but neither is typically "corporate").

Now if you could get Kenny - or someone like him - to lead a team of experts to be on site to install, train, and be a help-desk, that could resolve some of those issues, but I still have difficulty seeing corporate going for it.
Having been in this position before more than once (deployment of DAW software to an organization with more than 20 DAWs) I have consistently failed to sell REAPER to the powers that be for the reasons stated above. Not wining and dining but the name brand power of being able to walk into Sam Ash and see a box with "Pro Tools" stamped on it is very powerful to owner/management/non-engineer types. Coupled with Avid's long standing track record (without looking too closely at it, of course) and ubiquity it's very hard to convince laymen that there are legitimate alternatives.

And believe me, I've dealt with Avid support. If that's anyone's reason for staying with Pro Tools then I'm guessing they have not. But the fact that it exists gives some kind of existential comfort if you don't know how lousy it is (despite the fact that, in reality, most PT tech support seems to happen at the DUC forum as you'd expect).

But I agree that REAPER actually is well suited for these kinds of deployments. It might take some customization (a bunch of it maybe) but it really can do so many different things in so many different ways.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote