View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #390
Phroneris
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
But this would mean a user would have to rewrite/modify his/her own scripts to get them localized correctly. To introduce extra routines to solve localizing problems that in the end do the same as already existing ones, might therefore possibly not really be the best way to go. Probably it's a better solution to modify existing functions, so that all already written scripts, using these functions, automatically would work correct in the desired language in the first place.

But I somehow doubt, that it will ever happen that all these functions which might use some (whatever) localized string(s) will be rewritten. (sigh!)

-Data
Thanks Data.
Do you mean you're recommending something like... "leave GetXXEnvelopeByName() as is and establish GetXXEnvelopeByEnglishName() newly" or "give GetXXEnvelopeByName() a new optional argument to make it return its English name only if that argument is specified"?
Anyway, we probably have different viewpoints.

You seem to suppose that users of scripts are developers themselves and/or people using the same language and it is developers' efforts that should be minimized.
Meanwhile, I assume that scripts are used by various REAPER fans around the world and it is efforts of end users who don't have development ability that should be minimized.

And my another thought is, well, currently this function must be used in at best English scripts. Maybe it's not so major one as it affects destructively yet.
Then I checked 1056 packages I had downloaded from 9 repositories through ReaPack. As a result, I found 36 scripts using GetXXEnvelopeByEnglishName() and confirmed ALL of them retrieve envelopes only by English names regardless of whether directly or not.
I also searched on GitHub as possible, but there are no ReaScripts using localized envelope names with this function.
(The only thing I'm interested in is https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/bl...r/sws_util.cpp , the bottom two and their __localizeFunc(), but I don't know how we can use them.)

If adopting my idea, another pending issue is whether developers notice the specification change...
But, even if they don't see REAPER's changelog, they must see API reference, so I feel like it'll be okay to write it there.

P.S.
Perhaps this talk should be in developers' thread rather than here...? Sorry if so :P