View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 AM   #4
djangotsp
Human being with feelings

My main issue with budget samplers has been locating missing samples. I used to run a Mac at work and a PC at home. Currently it's three Windows machines. I need peace of mind that projects will open down the line if I switch computers or operating systems.

Last time I used TX16WX. as far as I remember it showed which files were missing but I had to browse for each sample manually. I also wanted something for quick non-destructive auto-slicing of drum loops, but the transient detection wasn't great. Slicex by Image-Line does a better job at that particular task (I haven't tried Slicex as a VST yet though). TX has a very loyal fan base though. If the kinks haven't been ironed out I'm sure they will be.

Grace by One Small Cue is another cool free sampler. Being Windows only I haven't given it much consideration, but it's free and might suit your needs.

I also own Structure and Transfuser by Air Music Tech. They're tempting budget options, but I wouldn't recommend them. Transfuser once reloaded with scrambled slice markers, and Structure crashed when I tried to relocate missing samples.

Geist (for drums and loops) and Falcon are the next tiers up, but as soon as I cross the $200 mark, I feel I may as well save for Komplete. You really can't beat it for value.
djangotsp is offline   Reply With Quote