View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
strachupl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I think this is one of the things where both approaches are correct. If and when you monitor the inserted notes, you'd expect to hear exactly the note you are inserting, are the notes correct or not. That the inserted note then gets moved to a forced scale is another action. If you'd play back the inserted and thus corrected notes, they also play back correctly.

So it's only the moment of forced move which is not monitored at all. Rather than taking away the correct behavior, monitor the inserted note, shouldn't there be an option to monitor also the move? This already works for editing, but that is tied together with the insert action. The problem overall is that a note insert which is not moved (forced to a scale) is a single sound event like it should be. And editing actions are monitored live as each edit happens, so there is a clear connection to what you do and hear. But a forced move would be two monitored events from one user action which may or may not sound odd as well.

How about not allowing any monitoring at all for the events tried to be inserted outside the scale, and no insert action either? Try as you might, if you are clicking outside the scale, nothing happens. Whatever the solution would be, somebody would not be pleased about it. Currently it is; Reaper is not telling me audibly that I use a wrong scale or have forgotten the key snap is on.
Yes... that is making sense. You choose snap to specific scale to hear notes from other scales. Thanks for putting this logic in here!
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote