View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings

EDIT: [deleted old post because i got most everything working; no need to complain anymore]

SUMMARY:

Ubuntu Studio Linux v1404 is workable for use with Reaper v462 on Wine v162 using PulseAudio and WASAPI in Reaper instead of WineASIO or whatnot. I use a buffer size of 960 samples which is nearly exactly 21 milliseconds long. For MIDI input that's not too fast, it works. I like Ubuntu Studio enough that I erased everything from Windows that I don't need and saved the rest for Wine to use. It's also useful for other portable applications like Foobar2000, Music Cube One, and with work, FL Studio is useable as well. VSTs and VSTi's mostly work in REAPER. Some specific preferences need to be setup in REAPER, but as this is eventually documented, or at least accomplished by educated guesses, it turns REAPER into a contender on Linux with Wine. MIDI and Audio Interface hardware for my setup worked really well. (ZOOM R8 USB MIDI Control Surface/Interface, Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Speakers/Interface, Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Keyboard)

It will be interesting to see what happens when WineASIO is updated in a fashion that is compatible with the modern and current Ubuntu Studio. PulseAudio is good enough, even on a Core2Duo 2.4 GHz Dual CPU, but WineASIO could possibly do better for latency if the bugs get worked out.

Puppy Studio 4 wasn't quite worth it because it's out of date for softwares, but it was a good learning experience and it shows what WineASIO looks like installed.

EDIT: Somebody recently told me Puppy Studio has an updated version, but it's payware.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 08-08-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: enough complaining, better to document the successes
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote