View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #20
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Try this out, and adjust the Max Volume of Low Pass 1's parameter modulation to match your guitar's signal strength. Mine is set to a bridge humbucker of a 335 if that gives you any idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByE...ew?usp=sharing

What it will do (besides the static hpf and lpf which you can turn off) is filter out the high frequencies when things are quiet, then rapidly stop filtering them when you strike a note. It's strength, release time, and threshold are all set to try and match the natural sustain of a string.

The effect is that as you hold a note out, the sustain slowly loses harmonics as they drop into the noise floor. Sounds pretty smooth! When used with a regular gate set very modestly, it is really, really effective. Don't have any demos atm to show you but trust me. Well worth tinkering and learning how it behaves with your particular guitar.

Filter 2, the high shelf, is there to help boost my particular guitar's high end but it relaxes to no effect as the guitar sustains, I'd turn that off too if you don't need it.

Enjoy!

p.s. ReaFir is good as additional fixing for parts of a recorded song (don't use it live), I particularly find it useful for exposed guitar parts where a gate isn't cutting it (pun intended). But I usually automate it off once other things are playing just in case it makes anything sound funky, not in a good way. Try 4096 on best quality mode to start with (sample some noise from a 'quiet' area first, ofc). Higher sampling introduces a lot of pre-ringing and I find 4096 to be the best compromise (it is also the default).

Last edited by Fergler; 05-08-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote