View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #104
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Exactly how I felt about Manjaro. I had it on my machine for a week, and had gotten *most* things sorted out, but each item took WAY more time and research to get functioning for me, and in the end I went with Xubuntu.

I had EVERYTHING functioning the same night as I installed Xubuntu, and almost every app or tool I needed were easily installed without typing any cryptic commands in a terminal window, or compiling, but instead easy point and click installs using Synaptic.
I figure most people who are comfortable with Windows and OSX (and are not used to CLI), and are switching to Linux, will want some kind of Ubuntu distro. I personally wanted to avoid Canonical since I'd been considering Ubuntu variants around 2012 (that year I briefly ran Mint to give Linux a try for the second time), and I didn't exactly like what they were doing with Unity. I decided if it's feasible I'll just steer clear of Canonical. What they did isn't exactly on the level of Microsoft, and they removed those "features", but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Around that time a friend was trying Red Hat (I think). He decided to compile it all. Lol. What a nightmare. I warned him. That experience soured him on Linux for a while.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote