View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
Banned
Human being with feelings

It would be good to both devs and users alike to at least notice where any (remaining) differences in performance are between the Windows and OS X builds (and, in a similar vein, 32 vs 64 bit builds), apart from any currently missing features or bugs that are platform-specific.

Another example of something like this (without meaning to hijack the thread, I want to point out the more general pattern): when opening the plugin folder for the first time after starting Reaper, on OS X it takes *much* longer to display the full list of plugs. I'd guess that some caching routines in the Windows builds are missing in the OS X ones, or that there is a similar explanation on the OS level as for the issue described in the OP.

(Side note: I have not yet *fairly* compared Reaper's Windows vs. OS X builds on my MBP yet, as I have not installed Boot Camp but just occasionally run it under WINE; while I do have experience in running builds for both architectures on my generic desktop multi-booting both Windows XP and hackint0sh OS X 10.5.4, i.e. both are not really state-of-the-art but suffice in practice for most purposes).