View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
matnoir
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper oddly crashes on some project loading and the solution is even weirder :-)

Hi All,

Please forgive me if this is not the best section to put that in as I'm hesitating between bugs (but I can't reproduce it easily), tips and tricks (as I found an easy workaround), Mac OSX (since it's what I'm using) and this one.

Soooo... here goes :

On some projects, usually heavy ones with lots of plugz, Reaper will crash on opening the rpp file.

Reading the crash report (when it shows up, that's not always the case) allows me to find the culprit, always a VST plugin and always the same one for a given project, event though it will play nicely when in another project.

But it's not always the same plugin from project to project. Sometimes a paid one, sometimes a free one, sometimes Waves, sometimes Plugin Alliance, sometimes another brand. The only one thing they seem to have in common is that none of them rely on Ilok protection. I don't think that's relevant.

Now, the workarounds...

At first, I would open the RPP file in a code editor and edit the faulty plugin out. The project would then open correctly and I just had to reinsert the plugin and remember its settings.

Then I discovered that reinstalling the plugin would fix it. That's not as tedious as editing a rpp file, but still annoying.

Finally, I discovered that simply "touching" the vst or vst3 file would do it too. (in the terminal, just `sudo touch /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/my-crashing-plugin.vst3`). This, as the previous solution, forces Reaper to rescan the targeted vst/vst3 files on startup and then all goes well... and it does not take as long as a full clear cache and rescan.

I don't know what to make of that, it was already like that with Reaper 5 and keeps doing it.

The system drive is a SSD, original in the Mac Pro (trashcan) with Mojave (but 10.13 used to behave the same).

On average, it's about a project out of ten when it happens.

Any idea welcome :-) In fact, I'd love to find a way to reproduce it at will so I could file a bug, but it's just too random...

Sorry for the long rant, happy mixing,
p@T
matnoir is offline   Reply With Quote