View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #22
indys
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi,
this sounds very interesting. By the way Sonar 7 had an update accepting the Euphonix Controler hardware. Euphonix uses an Ethernet protocol,also. This could be an interesting software basis for an universal Control24 software.
Because HUI is MIDI, and the Ethernet protocol could be avaible for other software like Cubase in the next years.
If someone knows how all this will work together, it will be interesting.
I didn't know about Euphonix protocol. It looks nice!

Conversion between ethernet <-> ethernet or ethernet <-> MIDI shouldn't differ that much in programming when the specs of each protocol is drawned out. The only thing I'm worried about is wether a virtual MIDIport is fast enough to handle the traffic. There will be a lot of ones and zeros when feeding 24 tracks of meterinformation togheter with 24 tracks of fader automation. I have done tests with hui/mackie protocol from cubase to view meterinformation in a separate application communicating through virtual midiports and it worked with 24 channels, but the fact is the hui/mackie control protocol (in cubase) seems to be limited by 8 channels to aviod midi buffer overflow. I got around that by designing my application to connect to several independent midiports with 8 channels each. I hope to get my hands on a control-24 soon. Then I hope it should be clear wheter this is doable or not...

Is there anyone who knows someone capable of programming VSTplugs? If so there might be possible to write a VST-plug that have some ethernetcommunication depending on how public the VST-hosts interface are to the plug :-). VST is a fairly spread technology and even if I'm a Cubase user I recognise that this issue should be handled in a larger scope to fit a broader range of DAW technology. Reaper for instance :-)

Funny, I found this thread, but I have never heard about Reaper before... Downloaded it and I'm surpised that Reaper seems to be a so complete DAW but so unknown to the public. I haven't used it in a project yet but I shurely will play around with it some more. It looks very genuine and flexible.

One question? Does Reaper support VSTi? If not, does anybody know if it will support it in some future release?

/Jocke
indys is offline   Reply With Quote