Thread: Backup
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
ok thanks, I think I need to sort out a clone of my whole system.
A good option for sure.

Another, possibly simpler option, is to create a System Image using the built in backup function in Windows 10. Here's an article on how to do that.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-c...in-windows-10/

Thing is though, that is something you're going to want to do to a USB drive, not Google Drive.

Also, while you're going through all this, take some time to look at how your data is organized. Keeping your executables (programs etc.) on one drive, and your data (projects etc.) on a separate drive makes things a lot easier.

I do a System Image every two or three months depending on software updates, but I copy everything on my data drive at least once a month, sometimes more often if I've been working a lot.

All my data is on my D: drive and all I do is copy all the folders in the root of my D: drive and paste them into a folder on the USB drive. So on that USB drive I have one folder that is the system image, and then another folder that is my data. I then put that USB drive back in it's factory box and stash it away in a desk drawer. When I want to make a new image or a new data backup, I just delete the folder from the USB drive and either create a new image, or copy and paste the folders in my D: drive. Also, if you give the system image deal a try, don't skip the step on creating a repair disk. You only need to do that once, but once you have created that repair disk, put that away somewhere safe as well.

I've had to use those backups two or three times over the years. Worked great every time.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote