View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
ah very kewl... so if I get this correctly the thing to do when creating a knob would be to make it quite large in the best resolution so that when you scale it down it looks really nice...

oh btw... is there an exe for knobman3D??? I only find the jre files so far on his github
I've only been using the online version of KM3D - which can be a little slow at times - but ok for now.

I wouldn't make the controls too large - because scaling them down is likely to use more CPU - especially if you have a screen full of them. I would make each knob only as large as you need.

Another thing - I've been rewriting the drawing routines - mainly to improve performance. Although in general it ran very well before (ie. yesterday) - when you wanted to do something like scroll the page - it ate up CPU. So now I have it only drawing what it needs to and having 1 back buffer for the background images and another the controls. Now CPU doesn't spike when scrolling or updating controls - just maintains a nice smooth (minuscule) rate. Sometimes moving a knob will cause the CPU to go up noticeably - but it's the result of the plugin - not my script! (Acon digital - i love your plugs but automating them eats up CPU!!) )

One downside of this - is that the surface is no longer endless - it has a maximum size of 2048*2048 pixels (sorry for those wanting more - but more is fairly crazy unless you have a 4K screen). I have left the code for the endless surface in there - just switched it off for the moment in preference of low CPU usage.

The other downside - is that if you place some controls within the drawing range of another control - (ie. almost touching) - when one of the controls is redrawn - it may obscure part of the other control. In reality - I don't think this is a problem - as long as the knobs fill their width and height correctly - then it's unlikely to be a problem. If you have lots of blank space around a control (for a huge shadow or something) - then you would need to be careful how close you place other controls to it.

Of course I could create another routine to detect control clashes- but not for the first release.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote