View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #28
brk303
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
So yeah, it obviously can work, with some careful planning.
Same planning is needed with a desktop or rack pc, form factor is not the problem.

Quote:
But that's kinda' my point. Why even bother, unless it's your only computer and you need a laptop for other uses as well?
Because laptop has a screen, keyboard and mouse pad, and is built to be movable. Performance is practically the same ever since there are models with desktop cpu.
In fact, I would ask the opposite, why bother with desktop/rack pc, when you can have a laptop with same hardware inside.

Quote:
I assume an external drive or two as well.
External drives ? No, I have 3 internal SSDs, and in fact have another slot if I wanted 4th one.

Quote:
Why not just get a bigger rack case, and put a rack-mount PC inside it with the other stuff? (That's what I do.) Then you have only 1 thing to carry, and all your wiring stays connected. (You could even slide a regular LCD into the top, if needed, though I don't as my LCD is built into my controller board.)
How exactly is bigger rack more convenient ? You need a screen, keyboard and mouse. Not sure what wiring you're talking about either, there are two cables to plug, USB and power cable.
The cables you see in the photo are from my home, so I have external keyboard, monitor and network plugged in, none of which I use at gigs.

Quote:
Plus, then you have the other advantages of a desktop pc.
What are advantages of desktop pc ? Years ago when there were no laptops with desktop CPU perhaps, but nowadays there is really no difference, other than cooling.

Quote:
Well, to each his own, obviously. I was just stating my strong preference.
Yeah, I'm not trying to start a fight either, just voicing my view.
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote