View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I don't get the logic in other's speculation that somehow disk encryption could protect you against anything online. This would be a dangerous conclusion to draw because it very much does not. You still need network monitoring and file verification tools for that.
I would love for you to point out where anyone has claimed such a thing as you're coming across as dramatically confused here and clearly not understanding what's being said?

I don't get the logic of why Apple are embroiled in a conspiracy to sell more SSD drives for Samsung, perhaps you could explain that also?

Quote:
I've seen a number of posts complaining about poor performance in OSX 10.13 that made no sense in that there was no obvious wrong settings and the machine was far from underpowered.
So by that logic you'd recommend that we disable firewalls if our internet is slow? There's hundreds of reasons before the disk encryption being a culprit, but perhaps none of them have a conspiracy that you can hang on?

Quote:
And of course no one wants risk of their OS bricked when they have things to do. So I threw this out there.
You also 'threw out' that it's better to have no encryption claiming it's for FBI Agents.
You also 'threw out' that performance is SEVERELY effected.
You also 'threw out' that this is an Apple conspiracy.
You also 'threw out' that Apple are crashing and burning hard.

The truth is, in turns of first hand experience and knowledge, you are somewhat ignorant on the subject matter but masquerading as an expert on it, and subsequently would rather let laughable conspiracies take precedence in your mind. I mean, 'magic' cpu instruction sets, you really think that?!

Quote:
If you have a machine with physical security requirements, by all means use disk encryption! Is it still fast enough to also run audio? Well, sweet then!
Why the question mark, i thought you had tried it, as you was saying how night and day the performance difference it is(!?).
Don't tell me after all this you've never even used a machine running from an encrypted drive?

And i'll say it once more, as you're clearly not understanding, ALL our machines are at risk of physical loss or theft, and some may also be at further risk, i.e. being used in a shared environment or sent externally for repairs etc..

I don't understand the criteria you've formed to conclude who wouldn't be at risk? Is it still bank CEO's and FBI Agents? Or can we include students commuting each day with laptops? Howabout studio owners who's studios are external to their home properties? Howabout a DJ who's transporting their mac for live work? Howabout the average joe, who has all their bank details, emails and account information and also enjoy making music as a hobby? Most importantly, what about yourself?

I've never had to use a disaster recovery backup personally, so, does that mean that statistically i should stop backing up?! That IS a performance killer, yet i've had a laptop stolen which is generally considered a lesser chance of occurrence.

So technically physical encryption has been my greatest saviour up until this point. Would i rather have found that out the hard way based on your critieria? No, cause i don't take chances with clients data, nor mine. It's called better safe than sorry, some talk it, some exercise it.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 04-18-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote