View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #54
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Do you know what this 'something else' is?
No.

What could it be? Either some euphonic, psychachoustic placebo effect? More likely, it's the way that the Neve fails to do exactly what it's supposed to do without doing anything else. It might add some distortion and very likely has some effect on the frequency response outside of the band you're actually adjusting. Or maybe it's just something in the particular shape and slope of the filter they implemented.

I honestly don't care. I can get what I need from ReaEQ, ReaComp, and a couple saturators.

karbo is dead on talking about how the guitarist is a huge part of the sound of an instrument - especially an acoustic instrument. I think you're actually a pretty decent guitarist, but we can always get better. That's why the top athletes in the world review videos of their performance.

But then too, I think we've already established that you can be a little over-sensitive to some of these things and get real nitpicky about things that in the big picture aren't all that important. Like, maybe nobody else in the world will even notice? It's not a bad thing to want and shoot for perfect and pristine and more importantly exactly what you want to hear. Sometimes, though, we need to step back and ask if what we have really is just fine as is. Sometimes funky can be fun. Sometimes the "flaws" are what make it unique and interesting.

It honestly sounds to me as though you might be fighting the presence peak built into your microphone. Most of the mics we end up using have something between a slight lift and a lot of hype right in the range where acoustic guitars piss me off. A different mic is worth a try if you can swing it. Else, I bet if you figured out the curve of the mic and made a ReaEQ preset to undo it, you'd be a step or two closer.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote