View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #4
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
I'm finally replacing my 8 year old Studio PC (early core i7, Windows XP) with a brand spanking new Windows 10 PC from Scan.co.uk with the latest kaby Lake core i7 7700k, 16GB RAM and fast SSD :-). Childishly excited...
Well, the PC upgrade, including Windows 10 updates, took a while but went very painlessly :-)

Once I had downloaded all the appropriate drivers, all my gear and sample libraries installed without a hitch (even my original Midisport 2x2 midi interface!) and, finally, I was able to install ReaPack and Xpand!2 (I was on XP before) and move to 64-bit Reaper and Sonar (8.53) :-)

The PC itself boots in 20 secs and, so far, even with my highest track count and FX-rich projects, runs quietly and powerfully. I'm getting a 4.9ms reported latency with my RME Fireface UCX (on firewire) using a buffer of 256 samples, which I'm very pleased with. I loaded and played a couple of complex projects with an ASIO buffer size of 48 samples (reported latency 2.8ms) without glitches, so th epower is there if I need it :-)

Much kudos to Scan computers (scan.co.uk) for putting together a marvellous DAW PC.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote