View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #24
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
On the "Phantom Blocker Seems Quite Expensive..." point, it's probably more complicated than it seems.
I don't think so but it's a specialty item manufactured & distributed in small quantities. That pushes the cost-up. And on the pricing-side, there's not a lot of competitive pressure pushing the price down. And if you have an expensive vintage ribbon mic the extra insurance might be worth it! It could be worth it with an inexpensive ribbon.

It's a similar situation with preamps (and "audiophile" gear). Most stand-alone preamps cost more than a mixer with several built-in preamps and the internal circuity isn't that much different. (Except the components for a tube preamp are more expensive.)

Quote:
I've never had a ribbon mic so thinking of giving it a go.
I wasn't going to try and "discourage" you... With an name like "Tubeguy, I assume you like old technology... But you know... The main difference in sound character/quality between mics is frequency response and that can be adjusted with EQ. (That's the whole idea behind Antares Mic Mod EFX.)

It's easier to make a condenser sound like a ribbon than the other way around, because when you boost the highs on a ribbon (or dynamic) you'll also boost the preamp hiss whereas cutting the highs on a condenser will reduce hiss. In fact, just boosting the gain to match a condenser will boost preamp noise (although that can be mitigated with a special low-noise pre-preamp like the Cloudlifter).

Of course there are other differences... Traditional ribbons are figure-8 and they tend to have low-output. Different mics can different overload limits, the on-axis/off axis frequency response can be different, the proximity effect can be different, some mics have switches for pattern, roll-off or padding, etc.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote