View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #6
studer58
Human being with feelings

I realize that many Reaper users here use it only for location capture, and not for subsequent mixing.

However, even for monitoring with effects, it's likely you're ahead of me in how to implement the effects busses to put reverb/delays on spot mics in chamber or orchestral concert capture settings ?

I'm ok with creating a pair of stereo tracks which receive sends from the various spot mics, and placing a couple of effects in each of the tracks (plus filtering them to make their returns to the mix less obvious as effects.

Where I have trouble is the variety of panning and width options in both the effects modules and in the stereo return busses....there are so many options for panning the effects (as per the screenshots below) !

I want a nice panoramic effects 'field' for the spots mics to sit within, neither bunched up in the centre nor spread hard left/right. I'll typically place a plate reverb and a room or hall in each of the left and right effects return tracks, and send varying amounts of spot mic to these....then control the overall return to the stereo mix via the 2 ganged faders.

As you can see in the effects window ("Track 9 reverb right") there's the opportunity to pan the effect and control its width, as well as to pan it in the actual track pan control too.

Then there's the panning possible in the post-pan, post-fader "Receives" window ("Routing for track 8 reverb left") ....which is presumably panning for the placement of the reverb returns, to correspond with the actual pan placement of each spot in its own track control.

There just seem to be be too many choices, with no guidance as to which will give a desirable 'natural effects panorama' ?

I'm hoping someone here can point me towards some YouTube tutorials or other sources of info, as the manual is difficult to follow....or just PM me if the advice is too obtuse or lengthy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper effect buss (right) 58.jpg (58.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper effects routing 1 60.jpg (60.9 KB, 173 views)
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote