View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #20
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
@azlow...I understand about the syntax in the hui spec itself not being deep, but he figured out the whole system...zones etc. The overall systematic approach taken by the original "authors".
I'll dig em up. It was extremely difficult to get the hui spec. Mackie nor digidesign was not forthcoming. Years it took me.:-)
As I have written before, if you stay "in between" (easy with MIDI), it is possible to see any communications. And they are simple, one message per control (sometimes extra "keep alive" and "handshake").

All Mackie units are dumb:
* each control always sends the same message(s), no "configurable hardware layouts" nor live switchable "banks" as in most controllers (targeting live manipulating synthes).
* the feedback (except displays, since they are not controls) is exactly the same messages the control sends (unlike f.e. Faderport)
* there is no local feedback, like LEDs under AKAI pads, which looks "nice" when you play it but tricky to steer correctly when the pad light should be synced with the DAW track mute...

Quote:
Isn't the compact not MCU compatable? Actually I should say MCP comparable. Mackie Control Protocol. MCU actually stands for Mackie control universal because the hardware can do MCP, hui, and logic control protocols.
Compact follow MCP (as in links above) when in MC mode. Handshake is not (at least was not in firmware I tested) implemented (the same for Motör), unlike in the big X-Touch.

HUI use significantly different messages from MCP. What is the difference between MCP and LCP (Logic) I do not know.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote