View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
bjohn
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlamont View Post
Thanks but I was using XLR. I didn’t know about the difference in volume, however. Even using XLR the signal was too weak.
That's strange. I've never used any Focusrite interfaces, but I use dynamics (including ribbons) on my other interfaces at mic level all the time and get enough clean gain to hit healthy levels (I aim for average of -18dBfs or so). I've never needed an external ribbon preamp or a cloudlifter. I've used SM 57, 58, Beta 58, and some ribbon mics, including on quiet sources. You do have to crank the gain (with ribbons I'm often adding 65 dB of gain), but as long as the preamp is quiet it's not an issue.

From what I read in the Focusrite 4i4 manual, the interface should switch automatically to mic-level input if you use an XLR input (both ends of your cable need to be XLR). If you put a 1/4" TRS jack into the interface it automatically switches to line level. This is common among many interfaces with combi-inputs (XLR and TRS).

You definitely don't want to be recording microphones at line level, they need a preamp. If you plug in an XLR cable the interface automatically switches to mic level and engages the built-in preamp.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote