View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
John Lundsten
Human being with feelings

AntiClick wrote
"The problem is MOST video professionals use
- Final Cut (who exports to OMF or AAF),
- Adobe Premiere (who exports only to Premiere EDL).
- Avid (exports to OMF closed format, so no way here)"

Details wrong but YES, for Reaper to be relevant to PostPro it needs to understand the dominant picture editing app's

IMO in order of "importance"
1 Avid tho FCP is eroding their dominants in the marketplace
2 FCP
3 the rest, from a UK perspective, (& I suspect elsewhere too)progs like Premiere, etc though having merit are not taken seriously at all (hey it's a cruel world. At the risk of pissing off wedding Videographers etc, I suggest forget compatibility with anything other than Avid/FCP

Now Avid/digidesign think the future is AAF, well it may be, but in practice not yet IMO, OMF (the "O" means Open, IE it is an open standard given to the world by Avid)it is by far the most common format to interchange sessions & files.

FCP is snapping at Avid's previously cosy domination of the NLE market. The native session format uses XML,and yes it can convert/ Export (with stuff missing) to AAF & OMF.

So to be credible/ believable to the post comunity I recon Reaper should import:--
1 basic CMX EDL (still used & relevant gives all that OMF v1 can do but with no "issues".
2 AAF would be neat but its a moving target best avoided IMO
3 OMF V2
4 FCP vers of XML

Note to the Reaper developers:
Reaper is getting better all the time & the MIDI capabilities have improved loads But PLEASE consider that Reaper could be the killer app for post. It's nearly there already but it doesn't quite quite cut it ----Yet-----
JL
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote