View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #46
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
We use Raspian for them. We need these things to handle tons of filtering, so Python, awk, etc.. are important to us. We looked at Windows IoT for some of the computational load and GPS work, but it was easier just to move the data in house and do it there.
Good to know. I plan to buy some weather sensors for my Pi just to dink around and write my own weather monitoring app for kicks.

Quote:
Mine sit in rail yards hooked up to 220MHZ radios that require at least 75vdc to operate, attached to 12' whip antennas that are subject to atmospheric events like getting smoked by lightning. So they get cooked pretty frequently.

[...]

We are looking at replacing all of that with a single Cisco integrated service router. We can deploy code directly into the router as Docker containers. It makes the package a whole lot smaller, removes a ton of moving parts, and only requires infrastructure to support the radios. And it's a whole lot more reliable because the ISR is designed for industrial tasks.
Quite an elaborate setup! One of my last projects before cutting loose from the workforce was writing values to RFID tags as they printed, then using them so a whole show case of merchandise could be inventoried with a quick wave of an RFID reader. That's the extent of my experience with radio stuff and programming.

Quote:
That's great, but the only question I have is "why?" I can get four really good tracks out of a handheld field recorder. In fact, my Zoom is frequently used for just that. I use the two external channels and configure a recorderman setup, and then hang the recorder and its coincident pair over the top of the kit.

I can't conceive of what I would get out of doing this on a Pi other than the "Gee that's neat, I did this on a Pi" aspect.
It's obviously the gee wow factor. I mean, if I were to bring an eight channel audio interface to remote location for recording a live event, bringing a laptop wouldn't be much less convenient than bringing a Pi. But then, why is REAPER available for a Raspberry Pi if it is of no value?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote