View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
leighhunt
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper touchscreen controller thread

Hi all,
For those that might be interested...

I've been working somewhat on building a touchscreen controller for Reaper.
More details to be added as and when progress is made.
Touchscreen is a 1920x1060 24" iiyama.
Touch communication is provided by UPDD TUIO, received in a Max patch using TuioClient external.
Graphics in Max are all inside one gui external, which basically acts like a dumb(ish) controller.
Communication at the Reaper end of things is using a vst plugin built using wdl-ol, via osc.
The plugin accesses the reaper api and sends data accordingly when requested from the Max touchscreen external..
I chose the vst route for communicating as the built in osc control surface is limited in the data that it can transmit (so far as I understand it). I was wanting this project to be somewhat more than a typical midi controller can handle.
At the moment it is 4 point touch compatible with the faders, although the display is 10 point touch. This seems to be a limitation or bug in TUIO server or client, I haven't really had the time to investigate too far.
There's a basic animated gif on my blog (far too big for here) if you want to see a rough idea of what is going on.
The Reaper mixer panel is covering what will be a display for two rows of 16 encoders that sit below the screen. I placed it there to show the fader communication.
Anyway, I'll be updating this thread from time to time as this project progresses.
Link here to my blog of the project. More to be added soon.
http://www.collapsingsound.net
leighhunt is offline   Reply With Quote