View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #53
Alma Mare
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
To avoid synth hopping and preset hopping. Look in this thread alone, and there must already be over a dozen synths mentioned as being the best beginner synth. A beginner reading this thread will probably download one, jog through a bunch of presets (maybe finding some sounds (s)he likes, maybe not), maybe make some music with it, download another looking for different sounds...presets...etc. Having multiple synths on hand isn't conducive to focusing on learning basic synthesis, much less learning the sound of a particular synth, imo. Limitations can be a good thing.

Btw, something that I don't see on any of the synths mentioned in this thread is some indication in the gui of how the parts are routed, which is something that experienced synth users take for granted. Knowing how a synth is routed is helpful in understanding how the parts work together. Even in a daw, understanding routing seems to be a major beginner hurdle.

Another thing is that none of the soft synths that I have seen (outside of Reason and modular environments) have manuals (or a video series) that explains what the parts are, how they work, how they work together, what the parameters are, and how to create even basic sounds, i.e., fundamental synthesis stuff. It is assumed that the user will already know how synthesis works and how to design sounds, or will just resort to using presets. There is even a whole market built around selling presets.

It is no wonder that syntorial seems like such a good idea.
This. So much this. Especially the bolded part. I'm less concerned with the quality of the sounds at this point than being able to understand what exactly am I doing to the sound when I move a knob. At this point I'm not even touching the presets. I just want to figure out what exactly am I oscillating when I mess with the LFO.

Quote:
This is a good start for learning synthesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
15 minutes into it and it's turning out much better than it had any right to be. A keeper right here.

Thanks everyone for your input, lots of stuff to chew on in this thread, keep 'em coming
Alma Mare is offline   Reply With Quote