View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default My Windows 10 experiences so far

Ever since I upgraded my laptop (a modest ASUS X401U, FTR) to Win 10 last year it's been nigh unusable. It spends all its time updating itself and rebooting when I'm not looking even if I have stuff open and just close the lid to put it to sleep. Next morning I'm logged out again and upon logging in Windows informs me that it has restarted after having installed updates. The hdd is grinding almost constantly, like it's... I dunno? Very busy doing SOMETHING. I have opted out of all things optional and disabled all the telemetry stuff with Spybot Anti-Beacon. Yet it keeps doing shit that I haven't greenlighted and it feels like this isn't my computer anymore, it's part of some kind of Microsoft botnet. I wasn't crazy about Win 8 but at least it worked on that particular machine.

Funnily... just for the sake of experimentation I upgraded my daughters Win 7 Home computer to Win 10 as well a few months ago and this is a completely different story. I have not noticed the intrusive updating/rebooting thing on that machine at all. Nor the constant grinding of hard drives. TBH her almost decade-old dual core Dell machine flies with Win 10 on it. It's really, really snappy and has worked problem free ever since the upgrade.

This makes me wonder if the ASUS lappy is simply a very poor hardware fit for Windows 10. Maybe the W10 ASUS drivers are shit or something like that? Even if the ASUS is a budget lappy, I honestly thought it would outperform a 2007 stationary machine with an OS that is allegedly resource frugal (though maybe not by a great margin).

My DAW still has Win 7 on it. It's tempting to give Win 10 a shot given how great it works on the kid's computer. But clearly there's no guarantee it will perform well at all.