View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #29
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Looks like the automatic group replaces the highest-number group, which is a great adjustment. Thanks, it seems to be working fine for me. Could we get a non-toggle action to force-set the automatic group to selected tracks (the opposite of "Track: Turn off automatic track grouping")? Or is the idea that I test the toggle command state of all/track and then set those toggles as appropriate? I think that a direct action would be useful FWIW.s
Now that I think about it for a few moments, what I think would be really useful here is a "locked" automatic group -- you enable it for selected tracks and then it's locked to whatever it was set to until it's turned off and on again.

The problem I have with the group-follows-selection paradigm is that track selection in REAPER is not always consistent -- click an item, the track is selected; marquee-select some items, the tracks are not selected. The reliability and utility of a group-follows-track-selection rule is dependent on your ability to predict how the selection can change as you work.

So a locked behavior would be welcome here. I can also just rebuild my own "temp group" script based on a Group 64 (but without the helpful 'highest-group' actions), but I think the use case I'm describing is pretty common.