View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #263
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
I said it above: it favours the piano keyboard even more than the standard staff, to the point where actually by its design Hao-staff is simpy said a tabulature for piano keyboards. It serves the piano keyboard (an accordion included). That's it.

I do not see it beneficial if I play saxophone, kalimba, guitar, harmonica, oboe, clarinet... you get the point.
I get the point, but I also think that there is benefit in having a common instrument from which to communicate about music. And having a notation that directly communicates that common instrument isn't a bad approach. Of course it has it's cons. All notation systems do, and we have to weight the pros and cons. This tablature notation takes up more space. It doesn't directly communicate intervals and harmony in the contours and shapes of stacked dots (but that can be added using numbers, more directly). The standard staff is more abstract and complex, and I question whether it effectively better communicates intervals and harmony given the alternating lines and spaces for same note names across octaves and key signatures.

Here is a side-by side look: https://i.imgur.com/btlG3Gy.png

Edit: Link changed after resizing image.

And actually, after drawing up some chords, I think this does effectively communicate intervals and chords by pattern recognition. It might be worth exploring more. As far as I could tell, the Hao patent revolves around pitch stripes, which is pretty questionable whether it would hold up given the longstanding of MIDI notation using the same thing. But either way, this lines/spaces approach isn't using pitch stripes.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-18-2019 at 11:40 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote