View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
richie43
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I don't see why it would make a positive difference. You experience mirrors what I would expect to happen.
I have never understood this, but many many digital audio tweakers have recommended this for years. From an old Sonar site (XP days)

"Set Processor Scheduling for Background Services

Normally, Windows XP is set to give higher priority to the program that you are currently working in (the one which is focused). This would seem to make sense for DAW use, but for maximum performance set this to Background services. This allows effects, synthesizers, and everything else besides the main SONAR thread to have an equal chance at grabbing the CPU and will provide more even DAW performance.

You can give background processes priority by going to Settings | Control Panel | System, and then choosing the Advanced tab and clicking on the "Settings" button in Performance. Then click on Settings, select the Advanced tab, and select Processor Scheduling to "Background services". You will probably need to reboot to make this change take effect.

However, some say that this setting may make audio performance worse."

I think Windows 7 works great out of the box, mostly. I would imagine code writers are writing on a nearly stock computer, so go figure.... I would love to know if the Cockos devs are writing on a tweaked computer or not.