View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #79
---david
Human being with feelings

Wow guys,

Sorry I've been away for so long, I've never gotten even one notification about the thread, so today I was just checking in to see if anything happened here ( ... ) and am overwhelmed by the flood of good news!!

I'm so glad it's working for everyone – especially for you, Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmiller View Post
I didn't realize that using EarSketch not only screwed up my preferences file (Reaper wouldn't remember my changes) it also messed Python up.
I'll put that into the documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aer View Post
Would it be possible to have a setting where the rotary controllers are output as pitchbends or CCs split across the other midi ports? (similarly to how you got the joystick to port 2 by duplicating the controllers)

For now I am going to try and continue to hack my way through with the blunt machete that is my stunted programming knowledge. Also going to pick my brother's brains when I can, as he is a programmer with a fair bit of experience working in C++, Python and Reaper.
Hey Matt, at least the more important half of it is easily done, you (or maybe your brother) just have to change a couple of lines to get this going:

The magic happens in lines 726 to about 743 of reaper-csurf-us2400.cpp. 727 - 732 are what the extension should do if it gets an encoder message, simply change 'OnEncoderChange()' to 'kbd_OnMidiEvent()' as I have already done in the joystick section (741 - 744) -- 'm_midi_in_dev + x' decides which of the US2400 MIDI ports it should use (+1 -> Port 2, +2 -> Port 3 etc).

Before compiling your customized version, you'll only have to set the options in lines 13 and 14, depending if you want to use Metermode or the 'M'-Button.

That should get it to work in one direction at least - the other direction (sending parameter changes to the led rings) is much more complicated, I'm afraid.

Sorry I'm not doing it myself, but I'm really short on time lately (took me a month to check on the thread ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbash View Post
Only thing left to solve - a proper meter bridge. How can I get the track names / levels OUT of the system to an external device? I'm thinking get the data out to a small processor (eg Raspberry Pi, Arduino) and drive some small displays mounted above the encoders.
Most people seem to like the combination with iPads mounted on top of the US-2400, maybe that's easier than building something from scratch? Price might be an issue though, first generation iPads are still a hundred bucks on E-Bay (at least in Germany).

If you actually build one yourself with Arduino or whatever, keep us updated – I for one would really like to see that!

---

... It's such a shame, I barely had time to use the thing myself in the last weeks (other obligations) – but it really makes my heart sing to see how many of you are enjoying this!

If you find bugs (and I'm sure you will), feel free to use the issue-tracker on GitHub or post them here – although I can't promise any fixes in the months to come (I'm pretty much booked to the end of the year) ... so, if there is someone out there with time and skills to fix something by themselves - that would be so great! - Just fork it on GitHub!
---david is offline   Reply With Quote