View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #16
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default appreciate the feedback/latency setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpeacock View Post
During the initial sound check I did have to move the drivers to the highest latency setting to eliminate pops and clicks, but the musicians weren't monitoring form the PC, so it wasn't a problem.
Appreciate the update and am glad to hear that everything worked out well on the highest latency setting. However, for my purposes, any higher latency than the default (3 out of 5, or what I seem to recall being labeled as "normal latency") is pretty much unacceptable for my particular purposes. This is primarily because:

a. While the "MIX" knob is supposed to allow for you to monitor the analog inputs directly, the volume is nowhere close to what you get monitoring the same signal (at Unity) through the PC--at least on my first unit which has been returned--so it's basically useless.

b. Additionally, you cannot monitor the S/PDIF input directly (by rotating the "MIX" knob to "INPUT") at all.

So, for all intents and purposes, all record-monitoring pretty much has to be done through REAPER (or another DAW of some kind).

While my US-1641 made it back to Musician's Fiend (sic) on 12/24, they have yet to send out a replacement. (Ugh!) In all honesty, I don't have high hopes for the device at the point, but it would be great if I could get the replacement unit working to my satisfaction. If pops/clicks can only be fully eliminated by using the highest latency setting, I'd say the model may turn out to be virtually useless for any application where monitoring is required. (Why would they only supply a driver that's usable at the highest-latency setting anyway?)

Will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks again for the update.

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote