View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #84
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
Karbo:

"To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.

Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more."

Note the "and more".

Source:
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015...wind-nos/#gref
That's describing what info Cortana uses (mostly from an AI perspective) in order provide its features and has nothing to do with sharing your personal contacts or your personal data with others and everything to do with telling you how it is used for your own personal use. Not much different than the "we store data on our servers" when using OneDrive - because that's what OneDrive does, stores data in the cloud; or lock screen and other settings so it can be synced on your other devices - It stores them in your OneDrive account and pulls them down for you.

Sure you can say "they have it, they 'could' use it to do bad things" (even though it is highly encrypted) but that isn't what the text actually states nor what it means but you can just click no when Cortana pops up for the first time, and/or not even use a MS account and you avoid 99% of all of this if you are that worried about it. Thusly using that as proof of what P9 said is irrelevant...

Quote:
Anybody I am in contact with who has windows10 is probably giving MS my personal data through their contacts list.
I'm still waiting on a salient explanation to exactly how ^that happens and where he came to that conclusion and to clarify just what "personal data" he is speaking of since that term has a definition. Also, I respect P9 greatly so I'm not trying to give him a hard time but the claim needs some real meat due to it's severity and implications; not just repeating what "tech correspondents" say who's entire purpose in life is spin for page click's sake.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-14-2016 at 04:12 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote