View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Video Compare overlay?

Recent changes in Vordio have made conforming from AVID EDL's very do-able for us. I just did a conform of a project and brought in the new picture to check sync and it was fantastic.

One great feature Reaper allows us over Pro Tools is to switch video tracks during playback for comparison. And doing this I found some pretty major visual effects updates that I would've missed. The shot was the same, but some VFX had been digitally overlayed onto the old footage in the new version.

However if I hadn't been toggling between video tracks I still would've missed it, which leads me to the actual request.

Conformalizer has a great feature that basically overlays two quicktime movies (the old and new versions of a reel) and shows us any differences in the video. Any differences between the two frames shows up as white. If there are no differences, the image is black. So in the above example, if I had played down the reel, the new VFX would've shown up as white letting me know there was something different between otherwise identical frames. He's also got a slider for intensity. Here is an example of this compare in use:

https://youtu.be/FW1yfnFglBc?t=3m43s

I'd love to see some way of visualizing these differences in Reaper in the same way. I could then conform a project, bring in the new picture on a second track, and watch the reel down at 2 or 3x speed and spot any picture differences very easily.

If VFX shots were labeled consistently we could find these in EDLs, but most often they're not and we have to find these things by hand/eye.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote