View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Tallisman
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with: Implode as Takes (usless bits of trivia and Haiku)

Currently if one decides to implode items to takes, some odd and unexpected results occur - results that I believe are undesirable.

If you have several short items on a track, that have been rendered to a stem. if you then implode that stem into takes with the smaller items, then the original items lose their original positions and lengths. So this:

Becomes this (where you can see that despite the locking of the original items, these items have lost their positioning). We end up with a single Takes Stack, which I believe is bad:

This occurs using both implode to takes actions.

If the longer item is pre-split in the right places, then implode items across tracks to takes works. It would work better if they imploded to the last selected track, and if the items on the last selected track defaulted to take 1:

But if we attempt the same thing only on one track: implode selected items on one track into takes, the results are bad, even if we pre-split the long ones, and lock others!:

in either of the above cases this, IMHO, is the desired result:

Perhaps some users will say, "No I like it when my item positioning is ignored and things are moved on me and re-sized!" that is why I am proposing that this behaviour - the maintenance of take positioning and order be made dependent on locking items.

So in conclusion I would like to suggest:
  • If items are locked, their positions should be left in tact and they should become take 1
  • If a long item is being imploded to takes on a track with shorter, locked items, the Longer items should be split at logical places to enable the locked shorter items to maintain their positioning.
  • This behaviour should be implemented for both implode to takes options

thanks for your time.

greetings
.t

ps. so is this a bug, a feature, a nit pick, a picnic or a bit of all?

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 10-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote