View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #56
EricTbone
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
Sure, there are many ways to do many things in Reaper, with tons of workflows.
The implication is that they're all equally effective, which is not always true.

Quote:
What you are suggesting overall seems to be to *replace* an old behavior that has been there for many years (as a bug by your reasoning) with a *new/different* behavior.
Appeal to tradition carries no weight with me. More to the point, I never argued that it should be a new default, which you seem to be taking me to task for.

For the record, I do think it would have been a much better default -- because it's conceptually simpler (provable; the behavior definition has fewer terms) and its more consistent with ripple insert and deletes -- however, it's a potentially breaking change now for people expecting the previous behavior, so it should be a non-default option.

Quote:
the key word is "track" and the automation we're talking about is explicitly called "track automation envelopes"
This is a weak argument, IMO. Tracks don't make sound on their own. Media items do. Even on a bus, automation is modifying the audio at a position on the track, which is a function of media items on that track (or bussed to it) at that position. If you move audio and automation independently, it's almost always going to break the automation.

Your scenario -- where you have a reference track that you don't want changed -- is an exception, not the rule.

Quote:
so why not have both behaviors available? Why not have both behaviors?
Why not? I never suggested otherwise.

Anyway, I think Remotemaster's best bet is just to hit S with no media items selected before doing a ripple edit.

Another tool that might help him is regions. It's not the same thing as rippled editing, but if the goal to move some data with its automation intact, it'll do the trick.

Here I'm selection the area I want to move, hitting SHIFT+R to create a region, dragging the region, then ALT+clicking the region to remove it:

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote