View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I've called the police and they're on their way to your house.

I love stuff like this sometimes. It effectively demonstrates how personal experience isn't nearly as reliable as we assume, and that we need to consider our biases when trying to learn. There are many examples of this but people need to be reminded.

PS. I'm listening with Steinberg MR816X and Adam A7 monitors (and comparing to listening over my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone's own tiny speaker). I still hear the same thing. So it's not about the audio device people are listening with (or at least, that's not the only factor). It's about your experience versus others', the way your ears hear it and the way your brain filters it.

Yeah, I find this borderline perception stuff fascinating.

The news program earlier suggestion more of the youngsters were hearing Yanny owing to more prominent high frequency content for them.

Earlier when I ran it through a couple of instances of EQ for a time I heard yanny/larry (with my frequency modifications), but then when I posted it I tried it again and I was back to hearing Laurel but now with the shadow of the Yanny frequencies which can be heard just after (or behind in timing) the laurel sound (like a fizzy aftermath).
So from that I can grasp how perhaps teenagers using low quality devices (lacking bass and decent mid) could be overwhelmed with very high frequency harmonics (say 18khz) from the Yanny part (if their smartphones and hearing go there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Agree with everything, including the waste of time. But when a young woman showed this to me last night from a phone, I heard something like "heauhwy" or "yeauhwy". No R's or L'.

I just came upon this thread on the forum, and I immediately heard 'Laurel' from my monitors. Playing around with reaeq, I can arrive at what I heard last night. It is a transient and frequency thing. Anyone can probably start to hear something other than "Laurel" by severely cutting at 4-5k, boosting hard just below that and moving the boost lower.

It reminds me of an argument that I had with a friend years ago. We were listening to a song through a crap stereo. In one line of the lyrics there is the word "fish". We both knew the lyrics to the song. But the transients were being smeared and distorted in such a way through that crap stereo that the word "fish" sounded like "mish". We listened back to it over and over, and he never heard "mish". I bet we argued for an hour over it. Ha ha.
Yeah, on another forum I have a read that a few laptop and smartphone users where hearing yanny then hearing Laurel on home stereo, so it depended on their playback devices.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote