View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
effitall
Human being with feelings

I think I follow what you're suggesting and think it makes sense. Perhaps a description:

Let's say you have auto-punch time-selection as your recording method. You punch in on the downbeat of bar 24 for a duration of 8 bars (24-32). You expect there to be a crossfade at the beginning and end of the punch. This means that your actual recording has to be longer than the 8 bars by the duration of your crossfade time split between the beginning/ending of your punch. (Recording actually starts at say 23.4.95, and ends at say 32.1.05 for a 0.0.10 duration crossfade.)

That's all fine and dandy and should be doable. Reaper just has to remember to start recording BEFORE, and record LONGER than, you told it to, and then overlap the previous take past the punch start point, and overlap before the punch stop point. The amount of the overlap/recording start/stop points is half of the crossfade value.

I can see some potential issues to be aware of when setup like this, but it's nothing major and could be a nice time saver. I usually just manually slip my tracks and get the crossfades just right after the recording.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote