View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Thanks, while it is clear in retrospect, there is nothing explaining anywhere what is happening.

The part where you enter "this line" in reaper osc, to tell it to listen for action commands.

And then the part where you enter in OSC section "/action and the action ID found in reaper's actions dialog"

Are crucial pieces of information that were omitted.

It speaks of the stuff as though you already know where it's all supposed to go.

what was odd for me also, is that on all the prior steps, i had the impression that in OSC field, I was writing the tagline, or name, and location of the button, then, in .reaperosc, I was writing what should happen when that button or whatever triggers.

This last part was a little different, because it seemed like the reverse to me, where you would put the desired result (triggering action x) as the designation of the button, and then an entry that listens for any action, and passes on which action should be sent.

Idk, it was a bit confusing.

The thing is, nothing of how it worked was really explained.

There were just bits and pieces.

It told you what the capital letters stuff meant.

And it told you what the different parts of the editor did.

But it didn't explain anything about the mechanism of how it worked was.

Really, their example for my part, should have given a sample for an action, it's ID, where you write that, and what you put in the reaperosc file, and why you did all those things.
You seem to assume - incorrectly - that TouchOSC and its editor are the only thing that can be used with REAPER's OSC support. Imho it is not REAPER's job to explain how TouchOSC and its editor work (or not); so I really wouldn't want to see any comments added to REAPER's Default.ReaperOSC file about how to edit templates in TouchOSC's editor. That is simply not the proper place. If you choose to use TouchOSC with REAPER, it's up to you to figure out how TouchOSC works; if you would find its features and/or documentation are lacking, it is not fair to blame REAPER for that. REAPER only needs to explain / document its own behaviour.

Last edited by Banned; 10-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote