View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #63
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

If you try to install again, one thing I would check for is BIOS stuff. E.g. my laptop won't boot to linux unless I find the startup options in the BIOS and enable "legacy boot". There are a few things like this ("secure boot" and other windows drm-related BS) that can interfere with a successful boot. Similarly if you boot UEFI to non-UEFI or vice versa it can fail (this stuff confuses me, so take this with a grain of salt.) The error you posted reminds me of the kind of things that happen with this. (I once had an issue where the wireless would not work on my laptop. The issue ended up being UEFI vs non-UEFI -- for some reason that was the only symptom.)

Frankly IMO the whole BIOS/grub/partitions/dual-boot-with-windows/UEFI domain is the biggest headache when it comes to linux. Lots of complication, lots of vendor-specific BS, lots of stuff that is partially documented or documented with out-of-date info, lots of stuff that is supposed to work one way but just doesn't for some reason, obscure terminology, etc. I was a CS major and worked as a programmer and sysadmin type person for a couple decades and I still get glassy eyed when I start reading through grub and boot-related documentation. It's a mess. But don't despair, because you can get through it.

The boot-repair utility can be a life saver. Don't use it without further research -- for all I know it may no longer be appropriate. But it has helped me out of some jams after I had the hubris to think I could solve things manually. E.g. you could install as you did last time to where you get that error trying to boot linux, then boot to a live USB and install/run boot repair from there.

An important tip with linux is to make sure to check the date of whatever advice you are reading. Look for something written in the last year or two. Things change quickly with linux, but blog posts are forever. :-)

I treat Windows like a nest of deadly hornets and do my best never to poke it unless absolutely necessary, but at least in theory I like the idea of Glennbo's -- install via the installer's defaults and let it figure it out. Just make sure that it doesn't want to wipe out your existing windows install in the process, which can happen if you're not paying attention. And AFAIK don't try to move windows off the partition it is on.

There are linux nerds on this forum, but you might have better luck sorting out install questions if you seek advice on the forum for whatever distribution you are installing.

Some info on primary vs logical: https://superuser.com/questions/3371...ical-partition

Personally I don't use a boot partition... it's not clear to me if such a partition is even used with the older-style MBR/msdos partition tables (as you seem to be using, and which I use). As you say, it's hard to find clear information on any of this, which is frustrating. Everything I ever find answers only half the questions and brings up new ones.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote