View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #304
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
What do you mean with "coming to terms with 12 tones"?

Honestly, if you'd like to have visual reference to how the melody flows, in Pashkuli you can simply add a wavy line above. As you can see with the example of wider intervals on the standard staff... It works probably to about a third... then it becomes arbitrary estimation like "it is up" or "it is down" from the previous note if they happen to fall in different bars, then this is even worse to guess exactly. You have to follow the sharp/flat per bar... it is a mess!

As I said above... if you learn the 12 symbols or letters, you will never mistaken which one is higher or lower from the previous, you will spot the intervals immediately - even any two the intervals a few bars apart!

You never mistaken the months of the year and if you see them arranged randomly, you will know which two or three are "up or down" from one another!

Regarding the symbols and the names, I think it is pretty much obvious. Letters - latin alphabet starting from B, skipping the vowels and the crazy or harsh sounds like H, J, K, Q.
Shapes are very close to the actual letters for the corresponding note (except for F = Δ). You can spot them yourself, I think.
I mean that the 7 pitches and basic note names of them is foundational in western music. Most everything is built on top of it. Yes, there really are 12, but from a western music perspective we can think of the other 5 as being ancillary to the 7. In other words, it isn't just a notation system. The notation system is integral to a bigger music system. I think that throwing out those 7 note names and modifiers isn't as trivial as it might seem on the surface. Now you need a naming system for scales, arpeggios, and chords, since for example, you no longer have any of the common elements of western music for saying F# minor 7.

My initial thoughts are that some key elements of Plain Notation would much better serve the music world as a modification to, or coexisting alternative to, standard notation rather than an entirely new notation system. The ideas of note rows, modal clefs, identifying intervals of chords, could be very helpful. But I think that the new syllables, letters, and symbols make much more sense to you personally than they will to the average musician.