View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
tspring
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalbridge View Post
it sounds really good and the song itself is solid and creatively arranged.

my only nitpick is the different parts are maybe too disparate and dont fully gel as being different parts of the same whole. but thats just me really reaching for something critical to say about it.
Your comment touches on what I think is one of the main dilemmas in song writing and arrangement. On the one hand, you want to stick to a somewhat familiar structure like AB-AB-AB-Bridge-AB because it makes it easier for the listener to grasp the song. On the other hand, you want to do something that is a bit unexpected to grab the users attention. Too formulaic and the song is blah, whereas a structure that is too different from expectation is hard to pull off without the song seeming disjoint or lame. Shea and I both like to push the structure as far from expectation as we can while maintaining some cohesiveness. So you work a lot on transitions and such to connect things. When you declare a song finished, you obviously think that you have made it work, or else you would do something else. However, the only way to know for sure if what you have done really works is if a lot of people tell you that it does or doesn't. So I really appreciate your comment (and so will Shea).

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote