View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #17
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Following-on from what ED has said, I think we need to start a percussion-notation guide thread or document here in the forum as percussion notation is different to melodic notation. We can provide sensible ideas and information from, and using this, that will help Schwa write a decent percussion mapping editor. There seem to be plenty of notation users here to home in on a manual of "good practice" and notation explanation.

Ultimately this guide and some percussion mapping presets should help any user display their drum/percussion MIDI as dots. Maybe the guide can be accessed through the Action list or help menu, and/or downloaded as PDF or similar at a later, more mature stage in the notation editor's development.

Essentially, the mapping should consist of note to line and note-head rows, but some (eg Hi-hat trigger notes) need to consider CC values to determine the notes' dot status. I'm not enough of an expert here to contribute on other "notation punctuation" and how might relate to percussion MIDI, but I'm sure other users will add to the picture.

Edit: I hadn't considered what MM&U has added, with drum rudiments and their shorthand symbold. Perhaps the guide might be more of a good idea, as many users who might be use normal notation would not be so familiar with the convention for drums. That wiki page is certinly a good start!

Maybe with High-hats, some input is needed from CC04? ie:
18 "HH trigger" {CC04>96} 79 "XO" --open hat
18 "HH trigger" {96>CC04>64} 79 "XH" --half-open hat
18 "HH trigger" {CC04<64} 79 "X" --closed hat
42 "Closed Hi Hat" 79 "X"
44 "Pedal Close" 41 "X"
46 "Open Hi Hat" 79 "XO"

This is the only complication I can think of immediately to the percussion notation MIDI and note head mapping -many e-kits and all drum software worth using supports trigger+CC04 translation.

Also, cowbells, triangles, bell articulation, rimshots, ghost notes, etc will need to be detected and symbols added (triangles, circles, brackets, etc).

Are we thinking of a text-entry mapping format here? Could there be a more user-friendly front-end to setting this up?

Edit: Looks like those more knowledgeable than me have taken this up. If Schwa can take all this on-board, it's going to be a fantastic tool

>

Last edited by planetnine; 02-26-2016 at 11:00 PM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote