View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #84
derek.john.evans
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
I've just tried out your Pucker code instead of the parameter modulation method I used yesterday but can't seem to get it to work.

It doesn't seem to pan with the sounds am using.

See screenshot. Am trying to pan the mbira to follow the harp wherever it goes.

I render all four channels just to check the send from harp was working and so could view the 'panned' output.
I think it might be because you are expecting that code to behave like the modulated pan you have been using. The code currently decreases the side (S) of 1+2 as the side (S) of 3+4 increases.

Therefore, you pan a mono signal to the left or right, and then it will pan to the center as 3+4 becomes more stereo.

The issue is, side (S) doesn't contain LR information. Its the combination of MS which gives you that info.

So, here is where you need to think up some coding ideas.

One idea, is to just implement a modulation style effect. So, have two pans for the effect. ie: A start pan, and a duck pan. And then modulate between the two based on the level of the side of 3+4.

Or, you can forget the side (S) idea, and calculate the running levels of LR for 3+4. Then, apply those levels to 1+2 in reverse. ie: So, as 3+4 moves left, 1+2 moves right.

The complexity of this depends on if you want to handle pre-panned 1+2 signals. ie: Imagine two stereo drum tracks and what the algorithm would be to mix those together in such a way that LR signals are separated as much as possible.

So, many ideas. Sounds like you are getting closer to what you want to code.